Monday 20 February 2017

PCOS and Me

A bit of an honest one today! Not many of you may know that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS for short! I thought that maybe it would be good to talk about today and help some maybe understand what it is a bit more give a bit of awareness or perhaps even help some ladies get diagnosed! 

My Diagnosis;
I was first officially diangnosed when I was 17 by total accident, I also have a stomach condition that I was getting scanned for at the hospital where I recieve treatment and because I was female it was part of that hospitals policy to have a scan with one of those probe things to check my lady bits internally, so I had that done and whilst they were checking me with the internal probe things they discovered some things on my ovaries, they didn't really go into much detail just told me to visit my GP to go and get it checked out and that they would send the results! That was it, I was just kind of left hanging really! So fast forward a couple weeks from then and I'm sat in a room with my doctor, she explains not all that great if I'm honest, she basically told me what it was, told me to continue taking the contraceptive pill that I was already on and sent me away with some leaflets! 
I must say that the whole experience was a bit strange, and reading through the leaflets she'd sent me away with made it seem really scary and like I'd been thrown into something with no support or anything! My mum also suffers from PCOS as well so she explained more to be than any medical professional ever had to me but it also gave me comfort that my mum also understood how I was feeling at the time and understands alot how I feel now. 

My Symptoms;
I don't really have many symptoms that made any problem obvious until they checked my ovaries, My periods however can be really off and sometimes I will either bleed more that once a month or I may not bleed at all for 6 or 7 weeks it all depends how my body is behaving really, I alsot do get a small amount of excess body hair mainly just under my belly button and I do get some fine hairs appear on my top lip from time to time but I just deal with them how I usually deal with my hair on my legs and under my arms, I don't really struggle with my weight I have lost weight in the last few months but I don't think that I will ever be happy with my weight regardless with how light or heavy I am and I guess that's just life isn't it. 
I haven't really struggled with my fertility which is also another part of PCOS, I decided when I was 21 that I wanted to have a contraceptive implant fitted but my doctor wasn't happy to fit it because if I decided that I wanted to have it out to start a family she was concerned that my body would take longer to get back to normal so that was when we decided that we were going to start our family and 5 months later we were excited to find out that we would be becoming parents that year and became parents to Oliver in October 2015 and I do touch wood that I never do have problems with giving Oliver a brother or a sister but I know that it is/could be a possibility. 

I hope that you all enjoyed reading, I'll admit that it was a bit touchy to write but I hope that at least one other person can get something out of this than that would make me so happy 
X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luna's 10 Month Update

So we've come to that time again where I'm writing another update for out little Luna Bug! She's 10 months already and I'm...